Autism Advocacy, Awareness and Inclusive Education Campaigns
Although Autism Awareness has increased in Tanzania compared to even 5 years ago, more Autism Awareness and Advocacy is still required and needed.
Lukiza Autism Foundation has been organizing a number of Autism Awareness Campaigns and advocating for individuals on the Autism Spectrum Disorder and other disabilities. These campaigns include activities such as events, appearances, and interviews on TV and radio, webinars, press releases, newspaper articles, postings on Social media, meetings with similar NGOs, and other organizations including government organizations. A continuing effort is still vital to:
- Advocate for good specialized and affordable education institutions for people with Autism.
- To advocate for well-structured inclusive education schools and vocational schools that cater for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, with qualified teachers and the right infrastructure
- To advocate for the establishment of secondary schools and vocations schools specializing to cater to students and individuals with Autism.
- Support and work closely with already established institutions that care for and provide services to children with ASD.
- To network with international institutions and bilateral agencies, donors and facilitating collaboration between them and local institutions.
- To engage with the policymakers in the government to increase services availability for children with autism.
- To provide a forum for dialogue and a voice for children and individuals with Autism and other related mental/neurological medical conditions.
- To contribute to improved knowledge of the problems facing Tanzanian Children on ASD as well as policy options.
- To promote the right of ASD children to play, by calling for establishing safe non-judgemental, and inclusive playgrounds, parks, and socializing venues.
- To call for more qualified doctors specializing in Autism such as paediatric neurologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and ENT. This is necessary for easy and immediate diagnosis of children under the spectrum. Educate the medical personnel on the unique special needs of children and individuals with ASD. This is not only necessary to bring awareness on Autism in the medical field but help them ease difficult situations when children and individuals under the ASP spectrum attend clinics and hospitals for both Autism related and non-Autism-related illnesses or tests and treatment.
- To protect children and individuals with Autism from harmful traditions, these are such as beliefs in witchcraft and the stigma around mental and neurological illness. Some family members and parents believed Autism can be cured by mere prayers or that their children’s condition is due to some witchcraft
HOW TO DONATE:
Donate direct via nilipe app link https://nilipe.co.tz/app
Bank: KCB Bank – Oysterbay Branch
Account name: Lukiza Autism Foundation
Account number: 3390658793
Branch code: 4608
Sort code: 017011
Swift code: KCBLTZTZ
Bank Address: Harambee Plaza, Kaunda Street, Dar Es Salaam.
Mobile Money Accounts:
VODACOM: Merchant Number/Lipa Namba – 5069292
TIGO: Merchant Number/Lipa Namba – 8145585
AIRTEL: Airtel Money Number – +255 783639335